Did you know Neanderthal Flute is the oldest musical instrument in the whole world? It is said to be more than 50,000 years old. It was discovered by an archaeologist in 1995. Below are some of the wooden musical instruments developed by Carpenter Tallaght, one the best company known for making musical instruments in Ireland.
1. Percussion Instrument
These are the types of wooden musical instruments that produce sound when hit, rubbed or wiggled. Some percussion instruments like timpani and xylophone produce unique notes when tuned differently.
Others like bass drums and castanets are untuned without a particular pitch. Did you know that the largest percussion instrument is the bass drum, while the smallest is a tambourine?
Well here are some examples of percussion instruments made from wood;
- Aboriginal wooden musical instrument
- Wooden bells, for example, such as the ones found in the Chinese Temple Block
- Candombe developed by Carpenter Lucan, click here to learn more about Lucan Carpenters
- Castanets have been with us for the last 2000 year. It said that the castanets are from Mars while the female ones are from Venus
Wooden precision musical instruments are widely loved for they add colour and excitement with the lovely sounds they produce.
2. Wind Instrument
Also known as the woodwind musical instruments, were initially made of wood as the main material. However, with the quickly advancing technology, these wooden instruments are made with a combination of plastics, metals and other materials. For these instruments to work, the air is blown through their mouthpieces, while one closes and opens the holes using his or her fingers. Below are some of the examples of the woodwind instrument;
- English horn
- E-flat clarinet
- Bass clarinet
3. Stringed Instruments
Wooden stringed musical instruments generate sound by the vibration of the strings which are stretched. The strings are made from metal, vegetable fibre and silk. Two types of woods are used to make stringed musical instruments. You can have woods for soundboards and wood for the frame boards. The sound is produced when the strings are plucked, struck or bowed. learn more about woodworking at https://www.residencestyle.com/understanding-basic-woodworking-skills-everyone-should-know/
The following are some of the types of string wooden musical instruments available out there;
- Violin – Did you know the violin is the string musical instrument that makes the vociferous sound? Violins are divided into two groups, these are; the first violin that plays melodies and the second one which plays both melodies and harmony.
- Viola – This one is related to the violin but it’s a bit bigger with a dimension of two feet long with thicker strings that produce a richer sound.
- Cello – this one is bigger than violin and viola and sounds closely like a human voice with a variety of tones.
- Double bass – it is known to be the biggest of them all and has long strings that play very low notes.
- Harp – this is one special strong musical instrument made from wood. Unlike other string instruments, this one has 47 strings. Each string has a different colour and plays a different note. Harp is also able to change the pitch of every string through the help of the seven-foot pedals that are located at the bottom to
Wooden musical instruments for all ages have changed to perfection over the years. Some have changed with the design and shape but still produce the same sound as before.